Grandparents Day – September 10 – is just a month away, so it’s time to start planning. You could send the typical Grandparents Day card and give them a quick call, or you could plan an awesome getaway to Pigeon Forge. What better way to celebrate the people who spoiled you with candy, showered you at Christmas, and let you break all the rules than with a weekend away in the Great Smoky Mountains?!
From beautiful Pigeon Forge cabins, attractions, and local events to great restaurants, wineries, and dinner shows, the Smokies is the perfect place to treat your grandparents. Whether you’re planning the trip together or want to surprise them last minute, here are 40 great Grandparents Day ideas to get you started!
1. Have a beautiful bouquet of flowers waiting in the cabin. (ask your Vacation Planner when you book)
2. Take a scenic drive through Cades Cove, and don’t forget to pack a picnic!
3. Have a Savory Solutions by Chef Jeremy create a delicious in-cabin meal (customized to their tastes).
4. Tour the Titanic Museum Attraction for some interactive history.
5. Get some old-fashioned candy and some brown bears at Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen. (perfect for back at the cabin)
6. Spend a day meeting the talented artisans in the Great Smoky Arts & Crafts Community.
7. Let them unwind in the hot tub on the deck of your cabin.
8. Watch a dive show and check out the fish at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies.
9. Browse The Village shops in downtown Gatlinburg – bonus if you treat them to something that catches their eye!
10. Explore the beautiful and peaceful Parrot Mountain & Gardens, with a replica of Thomas Kinkade’s “Stairway to Heaven.”
11. Start the day with a stack of pancakes at Pancake Pantry.
12. Pick out some beautiful pottery at Alewine Pottery.
13. Take them for a ride on the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel.
14. Plan a big family getaway in a large group lodge for a Grandparents Day mini reunion!
15. Give them a dose of nostalgia with hand-dipped ice cream and an old-fashioned root beer float at The Village Café & Creamery.
16. Work as a team to break out at The Escape Game at The Island.
17. Ride roller coasters, watch shows, shop, eat, and play games at Dollywood.
18. Enjoy a family-style Southern meal at Paula Deen’s Family Kitchen.
19. Send them out for a night on the town with dinner and a show at the Smoky Mountain Opry.
20. Treat grandmother to a beautiful piece of jewelry or monogrammed piece and granddad to a nostalgic sign, cigar, or beef jerky – all found at the boutique shops at The 21. 21. Island in Pigeon Forge.
22. Have a night of laughs at The Comedy Barn.
23. Have a homemade lunch and fresh tea at the Wild Plum Tea Room.
24. Ride the Dollywood train.
25. For the adventurous grandparents – take a canopy tour with Smoky Mountain Ziplines!
26. Check out The Old Mill and treat them to a scoop of the specialty flavors here!
27. Sample some Ole Smoky Moonshine and pick a couple jars for them to enjoy as they rock on the back porch of the cabin.
28. Play some old-school arcade games at Big Top Arcade or LazerPort Fun Center.
29. Putt around with some mini golf on a nice day.
30. Listen to live music in the Ole Smoky Moonshine Holler in Gatlinburg or at the Ole Smoky Moonshine Stage in Pigeon Forge.
31. Head to the Tanger Outlets for a day of shopping.
32. Sit back in the rocking chairs around The Island Show Fountain.
33. Browse the Thomas Kinkade Gallery.
34. Hike to a beautiful waterfall.
35. Treat them to a romantic weekend away in a cozy 1-bedroom cabin with a hot tub, king-size bed, and more.
36. Enjoy tours and tastings along the Rocky Top Wine Trail.
37. Learn more about America’s crime history at Alcatraz East Crime Museum.
38. Have a peaceful walk around Patriot Park.
39. Get silly while posing with celebrities at the Hollywood Wax Museum.
40. Pick a cabin with a private home theater and have movie night!
41. Take an old-time photo to remember your trip.
More Advice & Tips:
This may not be your first rodeo when it...
I’ve been wanting to visit the Titanic i...
Swooning at the mention of a romantic ...
Despite all of the attractions and enter...
With school out and summer well on its w...
Do you want to experience the Great Smok...