Always there when you need them, unconditional love forever, and sweet tail wags and kisses, a rescue dog is more than a companion — they’re a true friend. Shelters across America harbor roughly 4 million animals waiting to find their forever homes annually…that’s a heartbreaking amount of pets hoping for loving families each year. October has been deemed Adopt-a-Dog Month by American Humane since 1981, so we’re encouraging you to help save an innocent life this month and adopt a new (or another) bestie at a local shelter.
In celebration of your new found furry friend or the rescue pup already in your life, why not make plans for a pet friendly stay in the Great Smoky Mountains? It’s a great way to get to know your newly adopted doggy or spend some quality time with your longtime pet pal. Pet friendly cabins, fun hiking trails, and dog friendly activities await in Pigeon Forge, TN!
Pet Friendly Cabins
At Pigeon Forge TN Cabins, we love our pets — aka our fur babies! It’s our goal to provide the best pet friendly Pigeon Forge cabins so other pet lovers can enjoy the Smokies with their furry friends, too. Our pet friendly options range from 1-bedroom retreats to family size chalets to extra large lodges, depending on your group size. Not to mention, all our cabins feature a fully equipped kitchen so homemade human snacks and doggy treats are always nearby!
Are there any amenities for rescue parents and their precious pups to enjoy together? Absolutely!
- Lounge around with your puppies on the roomy decks with rocking chairs under the sun or stars, checking out the mountain, river, wooded, or city views.
- Stretch your legs together on community trails or play fetch in the cabin’s yard space.
- Cuddle up together for entertaining films in the home theater with surround sound, a big screen TV or projector, and theater style seating.
- Host a barbecue party with the picnic table and charcoal or gas grill…cooking up something special for Fido of course!
- Sip wine and read a good book while your adopted fur baby naps on their favorite blanket by the cozy fireplace.
- Private indoor pool (Some even have waterfalls, fountains, or swim-in grottos!)
- Massaging hot tub
- Arcade games
- Game tables (pool, air hockey, shuffleboard, foosball, etc.)
- Indoor jetted tub
- Paved parking and driveways
- High speed Wi-Fi (complimentary)
- Community pool access
Note: In addition to receiving a starter kit that has essentials (like extra paper towels, toilet paper, and dish soap) to begin your vacation with ease, our pet friendly guests also get pet bowls and poo bags as bonus items free of charge.
Dog Friendly Trails
Outside your pet friendly cabin, take your fur babies for new sights, sounds, and scents along dog friendly hiking trails. There are 2 fun trails that you can explore with your doggies in the in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and another in nearby Townsend.
The Gatlinburg Trail
- National park hike around 4 miles roundtrip
- Trailhead at Sugarlands Visitor Center
- Relatively flat and leads to wider areas of Little Pigeon River so your pups can splash around
The Oconaluftee River Trail
- National park hike about 3 miles roundtrip
- Trailhead at Oconaluftee Visitor Center
- Runs alongside Oconaluftee River with a few small hills and features an open air museum of log buildings and traditional living as far back as the 1800s
Shadows of the Past Trail
- Townsend hike around 10 miles roundtrip
- Trailhead near Townsend Visitors Center
- Parallel to US Highway 321, is paved, and harbors historic structures to admire along with features by Little River
Note: When heading out on a dog friendly trail, please remember to keep your precious dogs on a leash and pick up after them to keep them and surrounding wildlife safe and healthy.
Dog Friendly Things to Do in Pigeon Forge
Fun city attractions and a not-so-secret spot to explore the national park are great options to keep you and your pooch entertained. From perusing shops and strolling the streets to taking a leisurely drive through a gorgeous valley area, there’s plenty to do with your pup in and around dog friendly Pigeon Forge.
Places to Visit with Your Rescue Doggy
- The Island — Walk this entertainment complex in town that features tons of shops, eateries, and games with your canine by your side. You can even take your pup inside the Ole Smoky Moonshine Barn!
- The Village Shops — Styled in a European setting in neighboring Gatlinburg, follow the brick paths with your adopted buddy on lead to window shop at 27 unique boutiques and enjoy a nice break by the peaceful fountain.
- Cades Cove — Perfect for rolling down the windows for a sniff, this loop road travels through a stunning Smoky Mountain valley in the national park with rising peaks, wandering wildlife in the meadows, and historic structures.
Celebrate Adopt-a-Dog Month by rescuing a new fur baby and taking them on a special trip to the Smokies! Need help planning? Pigeon Forge TN Cabins is here to help at 1.866.513.7885.
More Advice & Tips:
One of the newest and most exciting Pige...
Whether you are making your way to the G...
Pigeon Forge is home to dozens of fun at...
5. More space. For those who plan to...
When you think summer, you probably thin...
Hiking in the Smoky Mountains is a must-...