Summertime is many people’s favorite season to visit the Smoky Mountains. Why? Because there’s so much to do! You can enjoy the natural beauty of America’s most visited national park – the Great Smoky Mountains National Park – or enjoy live music at one of several venues downtown. On the streets of downtown Pigeon Forge and in the backwoods of the Smokies, you’ll find plenty of exciting summertime events and attractions to keep your guests having the time of their lives!
But summertime in the South also means dealing with high temperatures and even higher humidity. Even a short hike in the Smokies can leave you sweating like you’ve just climbed Mt. LeConte! So you’ll want to find ways to beat the heat so you can keep your Pigeon Forge getaway enjoyable even while temperatures climb to the triple digits.
Here are 10 ways we invite you to stay cool this summer while taking advantage of all the fun things to do in Pigeon Forge.
- Take a spin around the track on a go kart. Enjoy the cool breeze while blazing around the track at Lazerport Fun Center when you come to Pigeon Forge. Their 43-foot-high roller coaster-style track will keep you and your kids entertained for hours. And when you’re ready to go inside and enjoy the AC, check out their 5,000-square-foot arcade center with an attached ice cream parlor!
- Visit the Titanic Museum Attraction. Nothing says cool like touching a real iceberg or feeling 28-degree water at the Titanic Museum Attraction. This fascinating exhibit gives you the chance to cool down while you step back in time and explore the artifacts of passengers and crew members aboard the RMS Titanic in 1912! You can walk the Grand Staircase, try to balance on a leaning deck, or let the little ones explore at Tot-Titanic.
- Spend a day at the Old Mill. For an all-day adventure that’s cool from start to finish, plan to spend a day at the Old Mill. You can view homemade pottery, shop at The Old Mill General Store, and eat delicious food for breakfast, lunch, or dinner at The Old Mill Restaurant. Best yet, enjoy a cool and yummy treat at The Old Mill Creamery, where you can find flavors you’ve never seen before like Whiskey Ribbon and Oat Mill Cream Pie.
- Visit Dollywood’s Splash Country. If you’re bringing your family to Pigeon Forge, you definitely want to plan a cool-down day at Dollywood’s Splash Country. They have something for everyone at this outdoor water park, including splash pads for the little ones and thrilling 70-foot slides for adults and teenagers. They even have canopies and retreats where you can relax in the shade, watch kids go down the lazy river, and even order food. Enjoy a day of wet and wild fun at this exciting park!
- Go whitewater rafting. For a great way to stay cool and get your heart pumping at the same time, try a whitewater rafting adventure down the Big Pigeon River! The family-owned company Rafting in the Smokies has several trip options for you, depending on your experience level. They even have a Lower Pigeon River float trip if you’re looking for a little less adrenaline and a little more relaxation.
- Try a ziplining adventure. Take your Smoky Mountain vacation to new heights at Smoky Mountain Ziplines. You’ll get to test your skills and feel the breeze on your whole body as you soar through the Smoky Mountain trees at speeds of up to 40 mph! Their nine-line canopy tour takes about two hours and will give both kids and adults a thrill.
- Cruise through the mountains on ATVs. Forget walking through the Smoky Mountain hills. At Bluff Mountain Adventures, you can cruise through these wooded trails on the back of an ATV! Take a guided trail ride through the Smokies that lasts one to two hours and enjoy the excitement of being outdoors without having to wipe the sweat from your face.
- Stay indoors with a day of shopping. If high-octane adventures aren’t really your style, don’t worry. Pigeon Forge truly has something for everyone—including those of you who like to shop till you drop! And what better way to stay out of those blazing temperatures than by enjoying the AC and perusing the unique shops of Pigeon Forge?
- Visit a swimming hole in the national park. A visit to Pigeon Forge means having the chance to enjoy one of the prettiest natural wonders of the world: the Great Smoky Mountains. From waterfalls to black bears, this park has it all—even natural swimming holes, where you can beat the heat and enjoy the beauty of the Smokies all at the same time!
- Stay at one of our cabins with a pool. While there are dozens of ways to cool down in the Smokies, staying at one of our cabins with a pool has to be the most convenient. You won’t have to use your GPS to find these perfect places to cool down because you’ll have access to them right inside your cabin door! And even if you don’t have your own private pool, several of our cabins provide access to community pools that are right around the corner. Enjoy these favorite summertime locales today!
More Advice & Tips:
The Pigeon Forge Titanic exhibit has bec...
Wildflowers are in full bloom, blac...
Whether you’re on a family vacation...
The DIY craze has certainly caught on ov...
Many of you may have noticed our Flash S...
No mountain getaway is complete without ...