The kids are getting restless, you’re aching for a break from work, and you’re all in need of some serious family time…it’s time to get away! Thankfully, spring break is right around the corner, so you have the perfect excuse to clear your schedule and spend some time away from home. A trip to the beach might be the first thing that comes to mind when you think of spring break, but if you’re traveling with kids, the Smokies is a great pick.
Home to miniature golf courses, go kart tracks, arcades, candy stores, outlet shops, outdoor activities, and dozens of fun attractions, Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge have tons of things to do on a spring break getaway with family. Our list of fun attractions and activities in the Smokies could go on and on, but here are just a few of the fun things in the area that always top our list for families.
- Get your thrills at Flyaway Indoor Skydiving.
- Hike Mt. LeConte.
- Break out of prison at The Escape Game.
- See how you stack up against the best with hands-on exhibits at Ripley’s Guinness World of Records Museum.
- Drive at top speeds at NASCAR SpeedPark.
- Walk beneath sharks, play with penguins, and touch stingrays at Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies in the heart of downtown Gatlinburg.
- Load your bags with great deals at the Tanger Outlet mall.
- Challenge the kids to a game of laser tag at LazerPort Fun Center.
- Take a “tour of the world” with music, food, dance, art, and culture during Dollywood’s Festival of Nations this spring. (March 18 – April 9)
- Play games in the rec room of your cabin, with pool, foosball, air hockey, and more.
- Go horseback riding through the hills of the Smoky Mountains.
- Swim the day away in your private indoor pool. (Ask a Vacation Planner for a cabin with a pool!)
- Go ice skating, snow tube, or ride the Aerial Tramway, and play the day away at Ober Gatlinburg.
- Experience history up close with a tour of the Titanic Museum Attraction.
- Learn about space, science, art, the body, and more at WonderWorks. (the upside-down building on the Parkway)
- Ride roller coasters, check out shows, eat cookies the size of your face, and shop at the start of Dollywood’s open season! (opens March 18)
- Fun from zombies at Outbreak: Dread the Undead. (behind the Hollywood Wax Museum)
- Do some fishing in the cool streams of the Smokies. (Spring Smoky Mountain Trout Tournament April 1-2)
- Fly through the trees with Smoky Mountain Ziplines.
- Pose with celebrities, tour the hall of horrors, and try some pop culture trivia at the Hollywood Wax Museum.
- Catch a show downtown, from the hilarious creatures at the Amazing Animals show at The Comedy Barn and toe-tapping music at the Country Tonite Theatre to jaw-dropping tricks at Darren Romeo: Magic Beyond Belief and the dueling families at the Hatfield & McCoy Dinner Show.
- Have a movie marathon in your cabin’s private home theater.
- Load up on tickets and prizes at the many arcades up and down the Parkway in Pigeon Forge.
- Spend the day at the Island, riding the Great Smoky Mountain Wheel and the show fountain, trying the 7D Dark Ride Adventure, getting a souvenir at the Old Time Photo Shoppe, or riding around with Island Bumper Cars.
- Stretch your legs, throw around a football, or have a picnic on a nice spring day at Patriot Park in Pigeon Forge.
Spring Break Packing Tips
Spring weather in the Smokies is often unpredictable, meaning a sunny day can turn into a rainy one and a warm day can quickly cool off. The best way to prepare is by packing in light layers and tossing in a rain jacket just in case. You can easily adjust to the changing temps this way. Your spring suitcase for the Smoky Mountains should also include hiking boots or trail-worthy shoes, along with sunscreen and sunglasses, plenty of water if you’re hitting the trails, and snacks and board games for rainy spring days when you want to stay inside the cabin!
If you don’t want to pack much, book a cabin with a washer/dryer so you can freshen up clothes throughout your stay. You can also pack light and pick up any gear you need at the Nantahala Outdoor Center or one of the many outdoor stores in the area. Whatever you need, you’ll find it here in the Smokies!
More Advice & Tips:
Why should going on a vacation break you...
Maybe you and your sweetie met in the Gr...
Are you ready to run the most exciting r...
The Parkway in Pigeon Forge is lined wit...
If you’re wondering when to plan your vi...
Pigeon Forge is filled with unique sites...