This Friday, October 6, is World Smile Day. As Smoky Mountain lovers, Pigeon Forge enthusiasts, and Gatlinburg cheerleaders, we think there are A LOT of reasons to smile when you’re in the Great Smoky Mountains. We could go on and on…and if you’re on our blog, you see we do…about all the things we love in the Smokies. World-class attractions, family-friendly activities, exciting annual events, a huge variety of restaurants, boutique shops and outlet stores, unique shopping experiences, thrilling outdoor activities…and that’s not even starting on the stunning scenery of the Great Smoky Mountains all around!
So, in honor of World Smile Day this Friday, October 6, we’re rounding up 45 things that make us smile in the Smokies. These may be some of your already-favorites, or maybe you’ll find something new to try on your next Pigeon Forge vacation! Read on to see what makes us happy in the mountains – and don’t forget to SMILE!
1. Watching the show fountain light up and dance to music at The Island in Pigeon Forge
2. Casting a line in the cool streams and rivers of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
3. Touring the Rocky Top Wine Trail, with our best friends
4. The satisfying views from the top of Mt.LeConte after a challenging but rewarding hike
5. The taste of rich, creamy fudge from one of the many tasty sweet shops along the Parkway
6. Finding the best spots for fall foliage spotting
7. Spending the night playing games – pool, foosball, air hockey, arcade games – in the rec room of a Pigeon Forge cabin
8. Riding the Winterfest Trolley Ride of Lights
9. Swimming in our own private pool in an awesome Pigeon Forge cabin
10. Watching the Amazing Animals perform at The Comedy Barn downtown
11. Sipping hot chocolate from our rocking chair on the wraparound deck of a cozy Pigeon Forge cabin
12. Unwinding in a hot tub in a private Pigeon Forge cabin after a long day exploring the national park or playing at Dollywood
13. Playing with penguins, touching rays, and walking beneath sharks at the world-class Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies
14. Spotting black bears on a scenic drive through Cades Cove
15. Picnicking by a quiet mountain stream in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park picnic areas
16. Flying down the mountainside on the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster
17. Lounging in front of a big screen TV in a cabin after a busy day
18. Sipping moonshine from one of the many local distilleries as we soak up the awesome mountain views from our cabins’ deck
19. Walking through historic buildings – churches, homesteads, and more – in Cades Cove and around Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg
20. Racing go karts – and beating the boss – in downtown Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg
21. Splashing down the Pigeon River on a whitewater rafting adventure or tubing tour
22. The smell of caramel apples and chocolate-dipped strawberries wafting out of Kilwin’s in downtown Gatlinburg
23. Spending a quiet day outside at Bent Creek Golf Course
24. Flying through the trees and working on team-building skills at Smoky Mountain Ziplines
25. Picking out stone-ground grains and pancake mixes from The Old Mill for breakfast at the cabin the next morning
26. Getting to buy and don the “I Escaped” t-shirt after breaking out at The Escape Game Pigeon Forge at The Island
27. Getting hands on with experiments and more at WonderWorks
28. Experiencing the old-world charm of The Village shops in downtown Gatlinburg
29. Seeing who screams the loudest on roller coasters during a day at Dollywood
30. Having an awesome movie night in a private movie theater of our cabin
31. Flying down the slides, floating the lazy river, and watching our littles play in the water features at Dollywood’s Splash Country
32. Posing with celebrities at the Hollywood Wax Museum in Pigeon Forge
33. Checking out the scared-silly photos after making our way through Outbreak: Dread the Undead
34. Scoping out the best barbecue in the area
35. Tossing around a football in Patriot Park on a crisp fall day
36. Watching as our heaping stack of buttery pancakes comes towards our table at Pancake Pantry
37. Watching for the “Hot Now” sign at Krispy Kreme as we drive in downtown Pigeon Forge
38. Tallying up the putt-putt scores after an especially intense game
39. Posing for photos on the bridge at Laurel Falls
40. Watching tournaments at Rocky Top Sports World – basketball, football, soccer, and so much more
42. Listening to live music at the Ole Smoky Moonshine stage in Pigeon Forge and in the Ole Smoky Moonshine Holler in downtown Gatlinburg
43. Testing our skills at The Island Ropes Course – high above the all-in-one attraction
44. Eating fresh apple pies and cider at The Apple Barn
45. Seeing who gets scared the most at Ripley’s Haunted Adventure
46 Watching awesome shows at the Smoky Mountain Opry
More Advice & Tips:
The city of Pigeon Forge brings to mind ...
“Clothes? Treat yo self. Fragrances? Tre...
If you are of an adventurous spirit then...
This summer, treat yourself to a getaway...
The Smoky Mountains transform into a mag...
From savory to sweet, these crazy appeti...