Nowadays, vacations are more than just time to get away from office work, household chores, and the same old scenery. Today’s vacationers are looking for MORE — a chance to reconnect with a partner, grow family relationships, experience local culture, and make treasured memories with loved ones.
Along with new reasons and motivations to go on vacation, 2021 is seeing a rise in road trips and local travel. Vacation rentals are being chosen over hotels and motels. And many are craving the great outdoors instead of bustling cities.
Within an easy drive from many states, featuring amenity-loaded cabin rentals, and boasting the most-visited national park in the country, the Great Smoky Mountains of Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, Tennessee, is a top destination for the NEW way to vacay.
Take a Road Trip to the Smokies
Whether you’re driving from Atlanta, Charlotte, Baltimore, Louisville, Columbus, Chicago, or another midwestern or eastern city, make your road trip to the Great Smoky Mountains of Pigeon Forge, TN, fun! Don’t opt for the main highways the whole trip. And do take time to see the sights on your journey. It’s a great way to start your memorable vacation and loosen up before you even reach the destination.
Plus, the kids (and kids at heart) will appreciate the mini destinations and scenery along the way, keeping them entertained and happy. Who knows? You might even be able to avoid the dreaded “Are we there yet?” this trip! We also recommend trying a new and exciting restaurant or grabbing a homemade treat along the way. At the end of the day, rushing here won’t make you relax any faster, so take your time and enjoy the scenic ride!
Stay in a Modern Cabin Rental
Hotels are old news and boring to boot. Cabin rentals are so in and trending! As a top-searched vacation destination, Gatlinburg is a great place to stay when visiting the Smokies. Of course, Pigeon Forge is popular and only minutes away, making it another great option for your family vacation, romantic getaway, or group gathering.
While hotels limit you to 1 room with few private amenities, a Smoky Mountain cabin rental gives you an entire house to enjoy while away, ranging from 1-16 bedrooms. You’ll have plenty of space to spread out, and the amenity options are endless! Bringing your doggies? Book a pet-friendly cabin. Plus, with Pigeon Forge TN Cabins, customer service is available 24/7, cleanliness is of utmost importance, and a vacation specialist can help you plan your trip at no extra cost!
- Mountain, wooded, river, or city views
- Private indoor pool
- Outdoor hot tub
- Indoor jetted tub
- Home theater with surround sound
- Game tables (pool, air hockey, pinball, shuffleboard, etc.)
- Arcade games
- Big screen TVs
- TV in every bedroom
- Wood burning, gas, or electric fireplaces
- Outdoor firepit
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Gas or charcoal grills
- High speed Wi-Fi
- King and queen beds
- Resort amenities (pools, clubhouses, saunas, playgrounds, etc.)
Explore the Great Smoky Mountain Outdoors
Bye-bye, busy cityscapes and suburbia. Hello, refreshing great outdoors! Great Smoky Mountains vacation ideas start in the most-visited national park in the country. The Great Smoky Mountains National Park features 800+ miles of hiking trails, many historic structures, plus tons of cultural significance. After all, these gorgeous mountains are the reason why Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg, and neighboring cities were built in the first place — so people could live a simpler life connected with nature.
Whether you’re up for an all-day adventure or just want to forget the world for a few hours, the national park is the perfect place for YOU. Hike to stunning waterfalls, picnic by a flowing river, fly fish with a friend, ride horses through the forest, take a scenic drive through Cades Cove, and spot wildlife along the way.
Outdoor Activities in Pigeon Forge & Gatlinburg
- Zipline with a friend at Anakeesta
- Ride mountain coasters
- Walk across the Gatlinburg SkyBridge (longest of its kind on the continent)
- Zoom in an ATV or Jeep rental
- Whitewater raft or tube along the Pigeon River
- Cycle trails and public parks
- Golf with incredible mountain scenery
- Zorb (roll in a giant inflatable ball) at Outdoor Gravity Park
- Get a bird’s eye view of the land with Scenic Helicopter Tours
Experience Appalachian Culture
What’s the #1 way to experience almost any culture? FOOD! Along with yummy eats and homemade fudge, we recommend sampling local moonshine and wine, visiting a few places only found in the Smokies, and seeing Appalachian creativity first-hand on your vacation in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg.
- Crockett’s Breakfast Camp
- Local Goat (locally sourced ingredients)
- The Peddler Steakhouse
- Mama’s Farmhouse
- Timbers Log Cabin Restaurant
Homemade Fudge Shops
- Fudge Shoppe of the Smokies
- The Fudgery
- Aunt Mahalia’s Candies (oldest fudge shop in Gatlinburg)
- Ole Smoky Candy Kitchen
- Country Candy Kitchen
Moonshine & Wine
- Ole Smoky Distillery (most-visited distillery in the nation)
- Rocky Top Wine Trail (FREE gifts along the way)
- Hillside Winery
- Apple Barn Winery
- Apple Barn Cider House
- Mountain Valley Winery
- Mill Bridge Winery
Unique Places in the Smokies
- The Old Mill Square (restaurants, shops, and more)
- Dollywood (mountain theme park with rides, shows, and events)
- Anakeesta (aerial adventure park)
- Ober Gatlinburg Ski Area & Amusement Park
- Great Smoky Arts and Crafts Community (the largest group of independent artisans in the country)
Ready to vacay a NEW way? Plan your Smoky Mountain vacation in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg, TN, today — with Pigeon Forge TN Cabins. Simply give us a call at 1.866.513.7885, and we’ll lend a helping hand. You can also book online with ease and check out our blog for more Great Smoky Mountain vacation ideas!