In 1959, the United Nations established Universal Children’s Day as an annual global holiday to create international awareness for children’s rights, improve the welfare of children, and promote togetherness. It was a part of a movement they began 5 years earlier in 1954 to ensure all children have the opportunity to be happy, healthy, and successful.
It falls on November 20 each year, and it’s a wonderful opportunity to celebrate and focus on the children in your life. Spend quality time with those kids and show them how important and loved they are! And what better place to do that than in the Great Smoky Mountains? Packed with fun community events, family-friendly attractions, parks, and tons of shops and restaurants, Pigeon Forge (and neighboring Gatlinburg) have more than enough to celebrate and treat the children in your life – whether it’s for a day, a weekend, or a week full of quality time together.
Fun Kids’ Attractions
• Dollywood – Kids will love the roller coasters, kids’ rides and carnival games, live shows, the eagle sanctuary, and the over-the-top treats at this favorite theme park in Pigeon Forge!
• The Escape Game – Older kids can test their skills by trying to break out at The Escape Game at The Island. Help them work through puzzles, codes, and clues for a memorable and satisfying day out!
• Ober Gatlinburg – From snowtubing in winter and ice skating year-round to fun at Oktoberfest and the Alpine Slide, Ober Gatlinburg has plenty of fun for the kids.
• Anakeesta – One of the area’s newest attractions features a scenic walk, treehouse adventure, dueling ziplines, a mountain coaster, gem mining, and much more!
• Pigeon Forge Snow – Play in the snow year-round at this one-of-a-kind Pigeon Forge attraction!
• Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies – Kids and adults of all ages will love exploring this impressive aquarium in downtown Gatlinburg. It features hands-on activities, an underwater tunnel (walk beneath the sharks), and more!
• Crave Golf Club – What would kids love more than an afternoon of miniature golf? How about miniature golf with a not-so-miniature candy theme and a candy shop waiting at the end?!
• Pigeon Forge Trolleys – While not actually an attraction, trolleys in Pigeon Forge can be a fun activity for the kids! And with fares starting at $0.50, it’s budget friendly too!
Kids in the Great Outdoors
The Great Smoky Mountains National Park boasts hundreds of miles of trails to explore. And the best part is that there is truly a trail for everyone. From paved trails for strollers, wheelchairs, or just easier walks to more challenging hikes for older and more adventurous kiddos, there is a trail for every child.
• Gatlinburg Trail – gravel with some paved areas; dogs allowed
• Sugarlands Valley Nature Trail – level, usually considered wheelchair and stroller accessible
• Oconaluftee River – gravel with some paved areas; dogs allowed
• Laurel Falls – roughly paved but steep
• Little Brier Gap Trail | 1.4 miles | historic buildings
Beside hiking, the Great Smoky Mountains National Park offers biking, horseback riding, fishing, perfect picnic spots, historic buildings to explore, and plenty of space to run and burn off some energy!
Kid-Friendly Fun at the Cabin
Our Pigeon Forge, TN Cabins are packed with fun things for the kids. When you don’t want to get out or just have a little downtime, it’ll be easy to keep them entertained. Most of our cabins have Wi-Fi, and some have smart TVs with streaming capabilities for Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and more. You can book a cabin with a big screen TV and Blu-ray player, a private home theater, a private indoor pool (or outdoor pool for summer months), or a game room packed with things like shuffleboard, driving games, pool table, air hockey and foosball, and more!
Our cabins also have fully equipped kitchens, which is a must when you’re traveling with kids. It’ll be easy to keep their favorite snacks and drinks on hand or make some special treats in the oven! Cabins with bunk beds are always a hit with the kids, and bonus points of the bunk beds are located in the rec room! You can also find a cabin with board games for fun family game nights or a cabin with plenty of outdoor space to run around!
This year, celebrate Universal Children’s Day by getting away with the special kiddos in your life! Enjoy quality time together, exciting attractions in the Smokies, some time in the great outdoors, and some fun days hanging out at the cabin together!